For my up close and personal art gallery visit, I chose to visit the Memorial Art Gallery. A gallery in which I have come to know well and love in Rochester. I am not originally from Rochester, so the MAG had to grow on me. The first few time I thought that they had too much Renaissance and ancient work and that their modern work was in poor taste, however, after more visits I have gained more appreciation for their collection.
This visit however was different for me. While normally these questions run through my head while at an art gallery I am not so deliberately selective. This viewing and experience gave be a newfound appreciation for viewing the living breathing pieces of art.
16 x 13 in.
C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
This visit however was different for me. While normally these questions run through my head while at an art gallery I am not so deliberately selective. This viewing and experience gave be a newfound appreciation for viewing the living breathing pieces of art.
A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
John Singleton Copley
Unfinished Portrait of Nathaniel Hurd ca. 1765
Oil on canvas
29 x 24 in.
This piece left an impact on me due to its incompletion while most viewers would find an incomplete work of art distasteful this piece felt almost modern because of the negative areas and blue hair. This photo does not give the hair justice but it is very blue and shows how old portrait artists would use layers of color to develop proper tones.
William Gropper
The Opposition, 1942
Oil on canvas
28 x 38 in.
Political art has always intrigued me and i found this work to be compelling in both color and content. The painting contains a room of old male politicians and the room seems to be in a bit of dismay. When reading more details of the label it just so happens that the scene depicted was actually supposed to be satirical when lawmakers were threatening to cut funds for the arts. I really admire artists who use their skills to represent social issues of their times which is why this work leaves an impression on me.
B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
Georges Braque
Oil on canvas16 x 13 in.
Still Life with Pipe (Nature morte à la Pipe), 1913
I feel a particular connection with this work because of my attraction to this time period in art. The fragmentation of imagery captures bits of reality that offers insight into everyday objects. Every modern art course captures the urn of the 19th century and the impact of industrialization on art. The invention of the photograph also played an important role in altering the standard image. Seeing a piece of art from one of the "founding fathers"of modern art felt quite exhilarating.
Jackson Pollock
Red Vertical Composition 5, 1950
Oil on canvas
21 x 11 1/2 in.
The first time I saw Pollock's work was at the MoMA in New York City. There happened to be an exhibit featuring a plethora of his work. The colors, layering, and sizes of his pieces drew me in. Seeing all of his work together was extremely impactful and gave me a huge appreciation for his work. The colors in this particular composition feel moody and the splatter gestures feel emotional. I could honestly put on headphones listen to some sweet blues and stare at this work for hours. I can not quite explain my attachment to this work other than it captures an emotion almost inexpressable by simply words.
Early 13th Century Chinese Sculpture
Unknown, Chinese
Bodhisattva Guanyin on Mount Potala (1127-1279 CE)
Wood, polychromy, gold
45 1/2 in. x 26 3/8 in. x 20 1/2 in.
The material and time period of this particular piece lured me in. I am fond of the ancient history of religious figures. The label provided by the MAG also stated that this figure was a representation of the suffering and compassion towards earthy beings. Out of curiosity I did some research. The subject matter rest within whom this figure represents which is
Guanyin, the Buddhist goddess (bodhisattva) associated with compassion or
mercy. The Chinese name translates as “the one who perceives the world.”
Guanyin is also commonly depicted within Asian art and sculpture. Guanyin is a
spirit one can turn to in suffering and healing. Apparently the lotus sutra
saying that Guanyin can take the form of any god, gender, age, human/nonhuman
in order to help teach what lesson that needs to be learned. Some Buddhists
even debate whether Guanyin is supposed to be entirely androgynous.
Georgia O'Keeffe
Jawbone and Fungus, 1931
Oil on canvas
17 x 20 in.
I found this Georgia O'Keeffe painting to be particularly striking because of how different it is from her soft and delicate flora paintings. O'Keeffe generally uses bright colors while this pallete is dull and features decaying matter. I also am drawn to fungus art because I often include mushrooms in many of my own paintings. I wish I knew more about the ideation that went into creating this piece. Perhaps capturing the beauty of death?
Great description of your point of view on these art works. I realized that I also like political art because it tends to have a deeper meaning than what is portrayed in the work itself because of its correlation with history. (The Opposition by William Gropper, 1942)
ReplyDelete