Hand Drawings








.       What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?
I have taken a figure drawing course before and have had to do similar exercises. When working with human body parts I have always felt a sense of gratitude and wonder. Often in our busy lives, people rarely take the time to study ourselves and gain a sense of connection to our bodies.

2.       What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?
I selected pencil. I have always preferred the look of graphite and the control one can hold over the medium.

3.       How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?
It felt very bizarre. It was certainly a challenge and a bit off-putting to me.

4.       Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?
Both drawings are clearly visible as hands but take on very different meanings due to the line work which composes them. While the drawing created using my dominant hand has more control and precision in the line work, the drawing created using my non-dominant hand has a loose quality that provides a different feeling to the study. The second study of the hand has an emotional quality that feels under distress due to the lack of control, while the first seems focused.

5.       Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?

I would certainly consider it. While it feels very awkward and doesn’t appear to be clean and consistent, I believe the drawing takes on a quality of its own which is still appealing in different contexts. 

Comments