Three-Dimensional Arts

For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

Glass and Ceramics:
-In glass blowing, after heating the sand and potash it creates the sticky property of the glass. Then, the artist blows into a rod to lengthen the glass and uses metal or wet newspaper to shape it.
-Slip is poured into plaster molds to mass produce ceramic items.
-Ceramic is stronger than steel.
-Ceramics are even used in the medical field and automobile industries.
Considering that I am taking Ceramics, I already had a greater understanding of the craft. However, I have only studied the hand building such as manipulation during various stages of drying, building techniques, and wheel throwing. Observing the commercial world of ceramics gave me greater insight into the practicality and everyday uses of clay. On the other hand, I knew little about glass blowing and now have a greater appreciation for the dangers and labor which go into the art. Manipulation of glass takes place under very high temperatures and time is working against the glass blower which makes the art very delicate and precise.

Through the Eyes of a Sculptor:
“I think before I became a sculptor I became a carver.

I think most artists can relate to these beginning stages of their field and the developments of their techniques. For example, I had to be a drawer before I ever became a painter.

“The sculptor must use feeling to carve life back into the sculpture.”

Sculpture is a physical art which can require an immense amount of labor. I am astonished by the talent and eye one must acquire to be able to hit into stone properly while making sure the desired look of the object comes out with precision as well.

“Aesthetics must be mastered, but the technicality of the piece must always be considered too.”
              
  Stone has various physical properties which must be considered to prevent wear, weather, cracking, and more. Not only does the artist have to plan immensely for their desired composition, they must also take into consideration the practicality of their design.  

How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

The videos explore personal as well as social/industrial insight into these three-dimensional arts. The text goes into more depth as far as processes involved in sculpture and installation, but the films did a wonderful job of expanding on the functionalities and artistry which goes into these art forms. Overall, the book gives more of a wide lens angle into the three-dimensional art world, while the films honed in on the personal and practical aspects of these arts.

What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to the understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation, and Craft?


The films set these three-dimensional arts into motion and contributed an improved understanding of the intensity and labor that is required of these fields. I was also reminded of the many practical uses of these arts in society. Ceramics can be used functionally for holding objects such as food or simply to decorate the spaces around us. Sculpture can be used to recreate objects of beauty and can be displayed to many viewers at once.  Glass is used for many purposed in peoples’ daily lives from the windows of houses to the glasses people drink from. Additionally, each of these three-dimensional art forms have an extensive amount of background knowledge which is required to manipulate the materials. The materials have scientific compositions which must be considered Overall, these films gave me a greater appreciation for the skills and knowledge which go into mastering these scientific arts.

Comments