Self Portrait Project


Works of Inspiration from a Virtual Tour of The Art Institute of Chicago
·         Title: Self-Portrait
·         Artist: Vincent van Gogh (Dutch, 1853-1890)
·         Date Created: 1887
·         Physical Dimensions: 41 × 32.5 cm (16 1/8 × 13 1/4 in.)
·         External Link: The Art Institute of Chicago
·         Media: Oil on artist’s board, mounted on cradled panel 



·         Title: Self-Portrait
·         Artist: Lovis Corinth (German, 1858-1925)
·         Date Created: 1924
·         Physical Dimensions: 486 x 305 mm
·         External Link: The Art Institute of Chicago

·   
    Title: Self-Portrait with a Visor
·         Artist: Jean-Siméon Chardin (French, 1699–1779)
·         Date Created: About 1776
·         Physical Dimensions: 457 × 374 mm
·         External Link: The Art Institute of Chicago
·         Media: Pastel on blue laid paper, mounted on canvas



Reference Photo:

Title: Self-Portrait in Blue
Artist: Sydney Winkel 
Medium: Colored Pencil



Black and white version



1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?
I selected my three inspiration pieces due to their variety of expressiveness, bold colors, and unusual brush strokes. Each of the artists also seemed inquisitive into something deeper than their outer appearance, rather staring into their souls.

2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?
I typically work on canvas with acrylic, but after being cooped up inside for so long studying and working on other courses I decided to work in colored pencil so I could go to my favorite coffee shop to work.

3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?
I find it challenging looking at myself for a long period of time. I am very self-critical and it is challenging for me to get past this. I specifically decided to take a photo of myself without makeup and in a vulnerable state to embrace these pure aspects of myself.

4. How does this piece represent you?
My self-portrait represents a vulnerable internal piece of myself.

5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?
I applied line within the abstracted red detailing and contrast within the deep blue hair and shading. 

6. Did you enjoy working on this project?
Yes. You reach a time in your life when you discover the reality of how alone you are in this world. You are the only person who has the power to change and impact your life. Seeing how I’ve lived hundreds of miles away from family since the age of eighteen. I was all I had to rely on some of the time. Through yourself, you also begin to appreciate the ability of how you can impact others and bring out their strengths. This has always been my goal. I create and live to allow others to appreciate themselves and illuminate their brightest colors.


7. What do you think of your final artwork?
I find it to be an interesting study of myself and of the manipulation of colored pencils. 

Comments