Sydney Winkel
AED 398
Instructor Jamie Tabone
September 18, 2018
1. What are the three (3) most interesting facts you learned from the lecture? and why are they interesting to you?
Culture can be jammed through parody or subversion of a dominant idea. Individuals have power to alter and redirect the course of dominant thinking and power through art.
Teaching is impacted by our cultural condition of having many devices and being immersed into visual culture. While accessibility of images and advanced technology allows us to introduce and showcase visuals, a more important task art educators will have is to make students aware of what they are seeing, how they are seeing, and what effect does the seeing have on the individual.
2. Discuss the role of an art educator in regards to visual culture. Is it important? Why or why not?
It is extremely important for art educators to make students rethink about the images they see within their visual culture. Images hold power over us are impacting the way people see the world. Educators must visit this dominant characterizing factor of our time and give students a platform to reexamine the information they absorb through various medias.
3. What do you think can you take away from this lecture and apply in your future classroom as an art educator?
I will certainly be mindful of any images and artworks used within the classroom. I will provide images which give positive representations of various minority cultures to provide an equitable education to students. I will discuss with students how viewing impacts their perceptions. I will allow students to explore themes of problems within visual culture, such as a lack of minority groups, and give them a platform to analyze and criticize the messages and meanings that images have.
I will certainly be mindful of any images and artworks used within the classroom. I will provide images which give positive representations of various minority cultures to provide an equitable education to students. I will discuss with students how viewing impacts their perceptions. I will allow students to explore themes of problems within visual culture, such as a lack of minority groups, and give them a platform to analyze and criticize the messages and meanings that images have.
Comments
Post a Comment