Prensky Video Review


Sydney Winkel
AED 398
Instructor Jamie Tabone


September 24, 2018
1. What do you think of the term: Digital Natives vs. Digital Immigrants?
The terms are very relevant to our society given our current and ongoing digital age. However, I find the term names confusing and think the terms should contain more neutral or academic names such as Digital Expert vs. Digital Learner.

2. Where do you fit in?
I would actually consider myself a mixture of both considering that the technologies have continued to progress and I have had to adapt with them while growing up, but have not had constant online and digital exposure my entire life. However, I do consider myself somewhat more of a digital native considering I did have online access during vital years of development. 
3. In regards to the Digital Divide, how do you see it impacting education?
One of the biggest challenges for educators will be to get students acclimated to using their technologies as educational tools and maintain focus on this objective. I believe students could gain more independence when problem-solving with technology.

4. What are the most interesting concepts Prensky presents? Why?
I found it interesting that when teachers evaluate children with their tools, computers, cell phones, tablets, etc., you can actually ask more complex questions. After eliminating teaching philosophies which only use rote memorization skills, teachers can actually leave room for students to engage in their own ways using their critical thinking skills, research tools, and personal experiences to find and create meaning of broader more complex topics.

5. Is there anything Prensky presents that you are skeptical about? What is it and why do you think so?
I'm not necessarily skeptical but I would be more interested to know how to engage kids with technologies on a practical level and how supportive most schools would be of this style of teaching. I would like to observe a lesson plan for a digitally engaging curriculum or techniques of classroom management for educating using technology for digital natives. 

6. Do you think technology is important in an art classroom? Why or Why not?
Technology is a tool and material that can be channeled to create artwork and visuals to support our advancing world. I think it is extremely important for educators to prepare and equip our students with skills for the future that they can best understand and connect with and to also explore various art-making outlets that are products of our current digital age. 

7. How do you imagine you will (or will not)  incorporate technology in your classroom? 
I will be open to incorporating and using technology for art within my classroom and with the school resources I am given/allowed. I will, however, regularly encourage online research and visual references, powerpoint for presentations, animation, digital media and design programs. 

Comments